Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rent

I recently saw Rent with my sister Reena and I absolutely loved it despite what critics say. For some reason Rent got really awful reviews.

The movie "Rent" featured all but two of the original cast members (Rosario Dawson replaced an expectant Daphne Rubin-Vega and Tracie Thoms replaced Fredi Walker). I did not know the African American detective on Law and Order, Jesse L. Martin, got his start playing Tom Collins on Rent. I was pleasantly surprised by his voice. Actually, when Rent opened on Broadway in 1996, a lot of the actors/actresses were no name people but Rent made them big stars. Idina Menzel (stars in Wicked) is another well-known Broadway actress who got her start with Rent. I also did not know that Taye Diggs (Benny) is a Broadway actor and is married to Idina Menzel.

Okay, I'm getting off track, but I really liked the casting. I really liked Roger and Mark -- Roger (Adam Pascal) has a great voice and I liked Mark's (Anthony Rapp) nasal, quirky voice. Maureen (Idina Menzel) was really good during the song, "Leap of Faith", at the protest and the song "Take Me or Leave Me". Rosario Dawson wasn't bad as Mimi, but there is no way she can compare with Daphne Rubin-Vega in terms of the sheer power of her voice -- perhaps that was the only negative thing I noticed. Wilson Jermaine Heredia (Angel) made a very believable transvestite. Critics complain that the original cast looks too old now, but I wasn't really paying attention to that. I suppose now in retrospect that I think about it, I agree, but it's not a big deal and doesn't detract from the movie.

There is also no doubt that Jonathan Larson's original play is a masterpiece regardless of the casting. The message of "No Day But Today" is a powerful one. I like the songs very much as well (despite what critics say). I mean, who cannot like "Seasons of Love"? It's a really beautiful song. Other notable songs include "525,600 Minutes", "One Song Glory", "Living in America", "Take Me Out Tonight", and "No Day But Today".

I can't wait for Rent to come out on DVD so I can buy it -- it is the ultimate feel good movie with great songs.

My favorite parts of the movie were (spoilers of course):

- La Vie Boheme, especially the lines "to sodomy is between God and me" (someone should tell that to Antonin Scalia and Rick Santorum)

- Benny disclosing that Allison's pet has died and Angel trying to look innocent

- At Angel's funeral, Mimi quotes Angel (to a skinhead), "I'm more man than you'll ever be and more woman than you'll ever have."

- When the homeless woman says, "Hey artist, gotta a dollar?" to Mark after yelling at him.

1 Comments:

Blogger sonia said...

When I saw RENT on Broadway, Joey Fatone or as I like to say Joey Fat One (of N'Sync fame) was in it. But let me tell you he wasn't "Tearin Up My Heart" as Mark. But in all honestly, he was surprisingly not bad.

12/01/2005 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home