Saturday, January 28, 2006

Match Point

I saw Match Point with Lolo last night -- it was a really interesting movie, the kind that makes you go hmmm, but leaves you a bit unsettled at the same time. Obviously there are spoilers, so don't continue reading if you want to see the movie. My favorite part of the movie was the choice of music actually. The opera music was a nice touch in scenes where they weren't at the opera and I liked how intense the music got when Chris killed Noella. I also really liked the tennis motif about how the ball can bounce forward or backward when it hits the net and how that can be the deciding factor in a match. When this motif is mentioned again, and the ring bounces backward, away from the river, I thought that it was supposed to be bad luck and was genuinely surprised when it turned out to be good luck. The movie is unsettling because Chris got away with two murders and his wife never found out about his affair. I also got the impression that Chris did everything for purely selfish reasons, making the movie more unsettling (I guess I just really like my happy endings). One really negative thing about the movie is the scene where Noella and her neighbor come back to life. This scene is very undeveloped and sticks out like a sore thumb -- though in the movie's defense, those scenes are hard to do right... Overall, I liked the movie -- it was fun to watch and listen to the opera music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home